Thursday, June 14, 2012

It's one of those mornings

I'm having one of those mornings where it's really hard to be motivated.  I'm hoping this will help,



I was thinking last night about music, and the impact it has on people.  We were watching So You Think You Can Dance, and every season I'm amazed at how these kids can feel the music.  They're not just dancing to the music, it's going through them, and comes out in their dance.

Music is a staple in our house.  If the TV isn't on, then music is.  Over the years we've come up with a soundtrack of sorts depending on what we're doing.  If we're doing any sort of work around the house, cleaning, painting, landscaping etc, then it's the Cory Heydon Band.  We discovered Cory in Key West, and bought his CD.  It's mostly covers, but we like a lot of his versions better than the original.  My Ipod is full of playlists for different things.  I have some for the gym, one for cutting the grass, one to help me sleep, one if I'm reading, an on and on. 

Gary Allan's CD Tough All Over helped get me through some really hard years. There's some songs that my husband laughs at when they come up in shuffle, but those Michael Bolton songs, and Miami Vice soundtrack remind me of being 10 years old and singing with my mom.

There really isn't a genre of music I can say I don't like.  I enjoy classical at times, and I have quite a few Zumba songs I've gotten from my sister in law that I sing right along with even though they're not in English and I have no clue what they're saying.  In my car, it's anything I can sing along with, usually at the top of my lungs much to the dismay of anyone next to me at a stoplight.  I have a love of classic rock that I got from my husband, and a new found relationship with the blues.

There are many times we'll hear a song and instantly google the lyrics, (last night on SYTYCD, I've been loving you too long), so we can add it to our music library.

My husband is a huge Led Zeppelin fan, he has the Zeppelin 4 symbols tattooed on his arm.  A Zeppelin song comes on the radio and within the first couple bars he can tell you all about it.  People are always asking him what his tattoo is, after all this time you'd like it wouldn't be a surprise, but he still doesn't understand how others don't share his love.  At the same time we've had someone see it and instantly break into the Immigrant Song.  He thought that was great of course.

I can never listen to U2, I still haven't found what I'm looking for, without crying.  It was what my mom had on the stereo when I came home and she told me her cancer had come back. 

I guess I don't understand when I hear people say they don't listen to music, or there are certain types they don't like.  For me, different types go with different moods.  For some, it's just noise or something to have on in the background.  For me, much like those dancers on TV, it goes through me.  I feel it, and it's a part of me.




(There's something wonky going on with the comments.  I was getting notified that comments were being left for the giveaway, but then they'd disappear.  I'll see if I can figure it out, if not I'll postpone it)



No comments:

Post a Comment